Start Here! Building in the WNC mountains is a whole different ball game than building on flat land. Most custom homes built here will have a basement or crawl space, unless you are buying a lot-home package in one of our New Home Communities - like these in Hendersonville . We'll get into that another day, but no matter where you build, you need to be thinking about the design and layout of your home.
When designing a floor plan for your home, there are many factors to consider. The layout of your home can impact the functionality, flow, and overall feel of your living space. Here are some key things to keep in mind when designing your floor plan:
1. Lifestyle and Family Needs: Consider your lifestyle and family needs when designing your floor plan. If you have children or pets, you may want to consider an open floor plan with a large central living area. Alternatively, if you work from home, you may want to include a dedicated workspace in your floor plan. Think about the rooms you need, the rooms you want, and how you will use each room to determine what type of layout will work best for your family.
2. Size and Proportions: When designing your floor plan, it's important to consider the size and proportions of each room. A well-designed floor plan will include rooms that are appropriately sized for their intended use, as well as the size of the people living there. My husband is Big & Tall, and our next build will take into account the space his laundry alone needs! When planning for furniture placement, take into account the distance between items (for instance, the distance between the china cabinet and the dining table, or the distance between the coffee table and the fireplace), making sure a person can comfortably walk through carrying things- as we so often are!
3. Traffic Flow: Traffic flow is an important consideration when designing a floor plan. Think about how people will move through your home and carefully consider the placement of doors and windows, as well as which way the doors open.
Where will your family members be entering the home most often, and what activities will they be coming home from? Will they have stuff to wash? Stuff to store? If you have teens that have sports equipment, you would benefit from a large mudroom with storage spaces built in. That way they aren't hauling all that (usually stinky) gear through the house and plopping it in the hallway or the floor of their rooms. (Ask me how I know!) With all the outdoor adventuring that WNC offers, you probably need an oversized mudroom anyway!
4. Lighting and Views: When designing your home, think about the placement of windows and doors to maximize natural light and views. A well-placed window can bring in natural light and provide a beautiful view of the outdoors. Additionally, consider the placement of light fixtures to ensure that each room is well-lit and comfortable.
5. Storage: Storage is an essential consideration when designing a floor plan. Think about where you will store things like clothing, linens, and household items. Consider built-in storage options like closets and shelves to maximize space and minimize clutter.
6. Outdoor Space: Will you be entertaining your family and friends? Your kids' friends? Consider how you will use your outdoor space as well. Treat these spaces just as you would indoor spaces when it comes to planning: traffic flow, storage, comfort, etc.
7. Future Needs: When designing your floor plan, think about your future needs as well as your current ones. Will you need additional bedrooms or a larger living area in the future? If so, consider designing your floor plan with these needs in mind.
8. Budget: Finally, it's important to consider your budget when designing your floor plan. Think about the cost of materials and labor, and consider ways to save money without sacrificing quality. A well-designed floor plan can be both functional and cost-effective, but plan for possible extra foundation costs here in the mountains of Western North Carolina.
In conclusion, designing a floor plan for your home can be a complex process, but by keeping these key considerations in mind, you can create a space that is both functional and beautiful. Take your time, consult with professionals if necessary, and enjoy the process of creating your dream home. If you need a Realtor in your corner helping you find land, I know a good one. 😉